The Research Process
The Research Process: a guide for students
Big6 (TM) Eisenberg and Berkowitz, 1987.
This step-by-step Big6 process is useful in school or your personal life whenever you have to solve any kind of problem or need to complete a project your teacher assigns to you. It consists of 6 steps that will lead you to the successful completion of the task or problem.
- 1. Task Definition
- 1.1 Define the information problem
- 1.2 Identify information needed.
- 2. Information Seeking Strategies
- 2.1 Determine all possible sources
- 2.2 Select the best sources
- 3. Location and Access
- 3.1 Locate sources (intellectually and physically)
- 3.2 Find information within sources.
- 4. Use of information.
- 4.1 Engage (e.g. read, hear, view, touch)
- 4.2 Extract relevant information.
- 5. Synthesis
- 5.1 Organize from multiple sources.
- 5.2 Present the information.
- 6. Evaluation
- 6.1 Judge the product (effectiveness)
- 6.2 Judge the process (efficiency)